The Weeping Cherry Tree

A week or two ago, I was surprised to discover that two of the trees at our new house are weeping cherry trees when they started to let out gorgeous pale pink blooms.  They hung like delicate beads strung on cords and danced so daintily at any little breeze.  As you walk closer to the trees, you hear a buzz that grows louder and louder as you approach.  The bees have discovered the tree and work fervently, buzzing from flower to flower.  Several species of bees could be found working the trees.

I was out in my garden one day last week and I appreciated that I had built my garden right beside these two beautiful cherry trees.  While I worked on adding soil and planting new seeds, I listened to the continuous buzz of the hardworking bees. Many times, I would pause and look up at the beautiful pink hue.  I loved the way the pink looked against the perfectly blue sky that day.  It was a warm day and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

At one moment, I decided that I needed to take a break and go enjoy the pretty trees even more closely.  I have always been mesmerized by nature.  I walked over and stood beneath one of the trees.  I thought to just plop down on the grass and lean against the tree, but I was drawn to the tree so much that I didn't want to sit down.  I wanted to stand and be as close as I could to the hanging flowers.  I looked up and I felt surrounded by all of these hanging branches with their pretty pink flowers drooping around me.  I stood there for quite a few seconds, in awe of how simple, yet breathtaking the numerous flowers were.  They were above me and around me in every direction.  I almost felt like I was in another place.

A tear rolled down my face.  "Jameson would have loved this," I thought.  My little guy loved nature, just like his Mama.  I remember when Jameson and Rhys were preschoolers, Dan bought all three of us binoculars and birding guides one Christmas.  Jameson was always up for exploring the woods and appreciated the beauty of God's creation and all of the little creatures in it.  Just this past fall, he and I had woken up early to take a day long, 6 mile hike up to Looking Glass Rock.  The leaves were at their peak color and we stopped to admire all of the different hues.  When we finally reached the top of the mountain, we stayed put for about an hour.  We simply enjoyed to the silence of nature and laid down on the warm rock and absorbed the sun.  We looked out at the view, trying to locate John Rock and other known features.

I know that Jameson would have liked this tree.  Maybe he would've tried to climb it to get closer to the flowers.  Maybe he would've tried to reach up and pick a few for me.

At the moment, I was so sad that Jameson wasn't there to enjoy the cherry tree.  Suddenly, I felt a rush of peace.  It is rare, but it does happen.  Still staring up into the tree, it suddenly hit me that Jameson probably does see trees like this in Heaven.  If not, the ones he sees are probably so much more beautiful than this one.  I almost felt that, looking up into this tree, I was taking a peak into what nature must look like for Jameson in Heaven.  Maybe the beauty that I saw was similar to what he sees.  I am sure that, in Heaven, we will constantly be in awe of the colors and patterns we see.  I felt at peace knowing that Jameson is surrounded by beautiful trees, flowers, mountains, and rivers all over Heaven.  I remembered the buzzing of the bees.  He had always been a bit scared of bees.  I'm sure it's my own fault.  I am terrified of them when they come close to me.  I looked at all of the bees flying around the tree and realized that, in Heaven, people and animals will be in harmony.  If there are bees in Heaven, they won't hurt us.

Today's heavy rain brought down many of the pink blooms and now their petals litter our lawn and my garden.  How appropriate that the trees are called weeping cherry.  Their branches hang heavily, like they are sad and tired, but for just a week or two a year, they show off their splendid pink blossoms.  I feel like the cherry tree nowadays, hanging heavily, sad, and weeping.  I have to try to remember the pink blossoms, a reminder of Heaven and all the wonders my sweet little boy must be experiencing.







Comments

Popular Posts